Sunday 9 March 2014

Slowly piecing together the puzzle!

Slowly my honours project is now taking shape. 

However at the moment I am struggling to gain access to WGSN - the trend setting website used by the fashion industry,  so hopefully I will be able to produce more trend mood boards.

Here is a selection of mood / research boards I have produce so far for this project.

These following four board are based upon my retail brand - 'Anthropologie' , this section will be continued to be updated as I am forever finding out facts, figures and statistics for this brand.

So whats this space!!

Anthropologie - Current Corporate Identity.

Anthropologie - Present  Customer Profile

Anthropologie - Brand Values

Anthropologie - Philosophy

Radiant Orchid is the pantone colour of the Year 2014. Keep an eye out for an update on this section (once I have log in details for WGSN!)

Trends 2014 - Pantone colour of the year
 By researching into the founding year of Anthropologie - 1992, I wanted to find links within the brand and my theme of cells.  how thrilled I was when I came across this information.

An obvious link is the name 'Anthoropologie' , which means the behaviour of human beings, however I wanted to dig deeper and found something more clever and unusual.

Edwin G.Krebs (1918-2008) and Edmond H.Fischer (1920) were both awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology and medicine in 1992. They were awarded it for the discovery  of reversible protein phosphorylation as biological mechanism.

Phosphorylation is the action of regulating protein and transmitting signals within a cell.

 So whats protein got to do with a cells I asked myself, well proteins are in-fact the building blocks within a  cell .They determine nearly every task of a cell's life, this includes cell shape, inner organisation, product manufacture and routine maintenance.


World Events of 1992 - Nobel Prize winners

So basically they both discovered how to switch the function of a cell on and off. which has later helped develop a break through within the development of cancer treatment along with other illness to.

A hormone signal will act on a protein within or on a cell and this will then send further series of signals which will then tell the cell to produce by diving. However a mutation (a gene which maybe lost or damaged) can occur and this can result in either too much protein being produced or not enough is made.

It can take a long time before mutations happen for a cell to become cancerous and this is why most types of cancers are more common in the elderly.


This Video by Cancer research Uk explains how this process works .http://youtu.be/m5_yo6uEeEc
The discovery by Krebs & Fischer has lead to scientists being enable to develop cancer treatments such as chemotherapy, radiotherapy and others as they understand now how to switch the off the functions of a cell.
This has certainly been on hard lesson to learn as I do not understand cell biology at all, but through the help from both friends and family I have managed to piece together a general understanding of this development.
Any way this is another step forward into piecing together the jigsaw pieces within my honours project.

Thank you Krebs & Fischer for your discovery!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10