Friday 7 March 2014

Cancer cells as art!


Cell No 4 - Angela Canada Hopkins


Furthering my research into cancer cells and their forms, I came across an artist - Angela Canada Hopkins.

Hopkins, like myself lost her father in June 2001 to cancer and she too decided to channel her emotions through art and design.

'Cancer is a difficult subject to tackle, but when it touched my life, I took inspiration from the challenge.
After my father died from cancer in June 2001, I decided the best way to overcome my new "enemy" was by embracing it through art.  I initially painted the disease by deconstructing microscope slides of cancer cells and reinterpreted them.  Creating the work has deepened my understanding of the disease and changed my outlook.  Recently, my work has progressed to a more abstract style that references general characteristics of molecular patterns and shapes. '
                     
                                                            Taken from - Angela Canada Hopkins -About me section.
                                                                          http://angelacanadahopkins.com/about/

Hopkins takes slides of the microscope cells and creates her own interpretation. She wanted to make something positive and replace her negative thoughts on the subject matter.

I feel that her painting are bright and colourful, although I am aware of what they are, I feel comfort by looking at her images.

I hope to create a similar feeling as Hopkins has done through her work, and raise awareness within the viewing public, without them realising the true extent of the images content.

Hopkins images are now being used within a variety of commercial places, with recently a painting was chosen for the jacket of a novel by 'The Abundance: A Novel' .

Rich Pratcher , art director at Henry Holt and Company, who sought out Hopkins work, says 

“I thought the description of the unusual beauty in something so destructive fit harmoniously with the novel"


Details of Hopkins' website is http://angelacanadahopkins.com
Cell No 21 - Angela Canada Hopkins

Cell No 8 - Angela Canada Hopkins
Cell No 15 - Angela Canada Hopkins



All Images used with kind permission from Angela.












No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10