Sunday 23 February 2014

To the laboratory!

Honours Project

So my honours project will centre on cancer cells, their shape, form, texture and colour combination. I will explore this theme and try and create something beautiful from such a negative subject. 
Suggestions for a title so far are: 


 • Understanding the enemy

 • Cell behavior

• inside out


As I have decided to use cancer cells within this project, I wanted another source of primary research and though to myself how on earth can I get some other then the internet or medical journals?


 so a spot of searching on the Internet and I found the cancer research website and contact details to the site in Liverpool. I fired off a couple of emails to the contacts upon the website and Friday morning, up popped a reply!


I had explained in my email to the contacts who I was, what I was studying and what my idea was, Hannah Leaton, who is Research Engagement Manager at Cancer Research UK - Manchester emailed back as both herself and her colleague James Dunphy were both intrigued by my idea.

 I have since secured a visit to the Cancer Research UK Lab in Manchester on 20th March to visit the lab and a chance to interview Steve Bagley, who is Head of Advanced Imaging. I am excitied by this visit as I feel it will help me understand how cells react more.

Attached is a link to Cancer research Uk - Science snaps. This is a blog of cancer cells images that scientists have taken. 


http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/series/science-snaps/

Provided by Professor Inke Näthke at the University of Dundee, the images reveal a different mysterious depth and show the intricate structure of the cells that line the intestine.



 On my travels I also visited the gallery in the Met Quarter, this is were I saw an artist who has inspired me also with this project. Phillipe Airde's yacht paint painting I feel look very similar to the images of the cells. He is often inspired by the body and also the galaxy. 


Melotonin 2007 (detail)- Phillipe Aird



 I spoke with the gallery's owner Jennifer, who took my details and offered any further help that I may need and even maybe an interview with him. He has inspired me to even try my own style of painting in this way! Watch this space!




No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10