Friday 2 May 2014

Shall I or shall i not carry on being a student?

With the end in sight (5 weeks and counting) I have began to think more about the options available after graduation. I am thinking about the possibility of further education, my options are as follows:-

Masters Degree (MA)
Having heard my tutors talk about their MA (masters degree) a lot I have often been intrigued to see what this will entail. I began to research into the different types of Masters degrees available, and obviously if I chose to study a Masters, I will stay at a university in the North West.

Having researched into the different subject areas, I am most intrigued in doing a Masters (MRes) in Art & design at Liverpool John Moores.

http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/course.asp?courseid=236

http://www.ljmu.ac.uk/courses/postgraduate/course.asp?courseid=406

PGCE
 I have often thought about becoming a teacher, in particular a lecturer in design of ages 16+. Having spoken to Julie Balmer (PGCE lecturer at Hugh Baird), I feel that this could be something that I may just take up in September.

The PGCE is taught part-time over 2 years and is aimed at ages 14+.  
In order to complete the qualification ,you must do at least 75 voluntary teaching hours per year (this goes towards your teaching practice)
 Attendance on the course is one afternoon per week (Tues 2-pm)
The cost is £600 per module (£3200 for the whole 2 years)
The course is assignment based. Although this is not something which I am used to as being a visual person, however since both writing this blog and also my dissertation I have quite enjoyed it.

Although I really would like to continue to study at Hugh Baird as I feel that the support from the staff has been amazing, I am also reluctant to continue studying for another 2 years. Ideally I would like to complete the PGCE in a year so that I may enter employment as soon as possible.

Edge Hill college offer the PGCE or DTTLS as it is other wise known on a full time basis.
http://www.edgehill.ac.uk/study/courses/post-compulsory-education-and-training-dtlls-pgce#details

At the moment I have put any further education plans in the back of mind as deadline is looming and I have a lot of work to do!






No comments:

Post a Comment

01 09 10